Claim tax relief on your registration fees
General Optical Council eBulletin 28
June 2016

Claim tax relief on your registration fees

If you are a fully-qualified registrant and a UK taxpayer, you may be able to claim tax relief on your annual registration fees. You may also be able to claim a rebate for tax relief you did not claim during the last four years.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allows individuals to claim tax relief on certain professional subscriptions and fees which have to be paid in order to carry out a specific job. GOC registration fees for optometrists and dispensing opticians fall into this category.

For more information on how to claim tax relief and the time limits for claiming a rebate for previous years, visit the HMRC website.

Please note that you cannot claim tax relief if your employer pays your fees.

Please note that we cannot give guidance or advice on tax matters, so if you have any queries you should contact HMRC or your professional body.




eBulletin 28 - June 2016

Welcome to eBulletin

New Standards now in effect

Record numbers meet CET targets

Apply to renew your student registration

© 2019 General Optical Council, 10 Old Bailey, London, EC4M 7NG
Tel: 020 7580 3898    Fax: 020 7307 3939    Email: